Avoiding Work

Friday 9th May 2008

I went down to the library today to get some stuff done. Today’s topic was Structural Analysis and Solid Mechanics in general, and energy methods and matrix stiffness analysis in particular.

Matrix stiffness analysis is a way for working out the forces and displacement of an element using its stiffness, and it’s pretty much a bitch to do. You have a bunch of stuff and this big scary matrix, and it’s just annoying. When we were being taught the module, the lecturer barely had a clue how to do it himself. In fact, when he did example questions up on the board I seem to remember him getting it spectacularly wrong several times. I’m pretty sure there was the odd question he just couldn’t do, as well.

Apparently someone went to see him the other day with a question from a past exam, and he couldn’t do it. Basically, we’re screwed. I’m just hoping a question on fatigue comes up, because it’s a lot easier (20 marks for manipulating some logs? Yes please!)

Whilst I was in the library, I was sat across from a couple of third-year girls and once they saw what I was doing they started to remember the nightmare… Apparently the second year is actually harder than the third in some respects, which is weird. Didn’t really get much work done for a while once we started chatting (until someone asked us to be quiet. In the library? Crazy talk!), but did get some handy hints for the third year, with regards picking projects and modules and stuff like that.

Working in the library; all well and good, until you reach a critical mass of procrastination. Once you start talking to people, it’s hard to go back to work…

Not that I’ll remember the handy hints, anyway, cos I’ve just been offered a job. As of September I’m gonna be doing proper engineeringy stuff, in the real world, for money. Just need to pass the exams first, and preferably well enough to let me continue with the MEng course.

Ah crap.

Posted at 12:53 am | Posted In: ProcrastinationRandom

Flix

Friday 9th May 2008, 9:09 am

Congrats on the job! Industrial placement thing? What kind of stuff will you be doing…?

It’s good to learn about the stuff you do (though I don’t understand it…) it kind of puts engineering in context a bit beyond “er, civil engineering, that’s loike, buildings n stuff, yah?” which would have been my general response before.

Friday 9th May 2008, 11:40 am

20 marks for manipulating some logs?

Yes please!

hannah

Friday 9th May 2008, 5:53 pm

Chatting up the girls in the library, scandalous ;o)
Well done on the jobness, that’s pretty awesome. Someone who knows what they’re doing with their life :o)

Flix

Friday 9th May 2008, 6:16 pm

Haha, that’s blatantly one of the main reasons to go to the library…isn’t it?
Last week, my friend and I were the only two girls within our sights in la library, not the best visual selection though, tbh ;o) Science geeks FTW! 8-B

Friday 9th May 2008, 10:45 pm

I’m gonna be doing a bunch of stuff, really, doing both civil and structural engineering. Tbh I’m not really sure what *exactly* I’ll be doing (other than I’m gonna have to use AutoCAD at some point), but I think they’re gonna try to get me to do lots of different things. Because it’s hard to know what you want to do if you haven’t tried things.

Which leads into Hannah’s comment… Yeh, I have an idea what I wanna do, but I’m not sure precisely. All I know so far is “Civil Engineering, probably”. The purpose of the industrial placement is to help me get an idea what I want to do (or not), cos saying “I wanna go into Civil/Structural Engineering” doesn’t narrow it down much; it’s a reasonably massive field.

It’s kinda scary, cos this is the start of my career and all. I guess uni is really, but y’know… Scary and exciting.

And (changing topic) yes, it is another reason to go to the library ;-) Engineers are all wonderful (I’m not biased, of course), so the “visual selection” isnt too bad :-p

And btw, what is 8-B meant to be? Typo, or something else?

Saturday 10th May 2008, 12:45 am

You’re going to be working?! Paid employment?!

You used to be cool, man. Sellout!

Yeh, it is always worrying when the lecturer screws up. Worrying, and annoying. Prepare your damned calculations in advance, you lazy git.

Saturday 10th May 2008, 12:49 am

I’m bringing The System down from the inside. But don’t tell anyone…

Revision lecture for that module earlier today, he screwed up another question. “Uhm… we’re running out of time. Lets do the next one!”

I think I’m gonna avoid the matrix question in the exam…

Flix

Saturday 10th May 2008, 10:12 am

bucked-toothed, glasses’d-up, full on stereotypical nerd, innit? Gosh, I’m so cool.