I’m Not There

Saturday 21st February 2009

As ever, I’ve been meaning to write something here for a while. But, I started work again a few weeks ago. Which is enough reason on it’s own for the gap, but because of a snafu of some sort with the site I was gonna work on in Cardiff, I’m working at Brize Norton. Staying in a hotel nearby during the week, then driving back home for weekends. So fairly busy, and fairly tiring…

Work’s very good. I’ve mostly been helping the engineer with surveying, which is good. Fairly pleasant too when the weather’s as mild as it has been the last few days. I’ve been trying to work out whether I prefer consultancy or contracting. To start with I was leaning towards consultancy, but I’m enoying work more and more now, so I think I’m starting to lean the other way. Which is good, because apart from anything else it’s much easier for me to stick where I am (providing they offer to sponsor me after my placement year).

So basically, life’s good :)

In other news, I downloaded the Spotify beta last week. Holy crap, it’s good. Apart from not having a few artists (Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Led Zep), it’s very comprehensive. The sound quality is pretty good, and the streaming is really quick. The only niggle I have with it is that it’s easy enough to find something if you know what artist/album/song you want to listen to, but if you just want to browse and see what takes your fancy, there’s no way to do that. Thats not a dealbreaker though, and I’m really considering paying the subscription. I’m gonna see if I keep using it as my main music player first though.

Posted at 5:45 pm | Posted In: EngineeringGeekMusicTechnology Tagged:

Saturday 21st February 2009, 6:39 pm

Oh wow, I didn’t realise that Brize Norton was actually an air base….!

Saturday 21st February 2009, 7:22 pm

I thought this was about the movie of the same title as the above. I’m disappointed that it’s not about that but tis good that you’re enjoying where you’re at an’ all :)

Sunday 22nd February 2009, 12:13 am

Yeah, no-one seems to know that. Which I have to say is weird, cos I just assumed everyone would…

The title comes from the name of the song that the film is based on (this song, in fact, for anyone with Spotify). Both are very good though :)

Sunday 22nd February 2009, 12:20 pm

Lol, I just noticed your Listening To. I probably could have guessed it was connected somehow. I’ve never seen the film, but it’s been recommended to me on more than one occasion.

And why don’t your comments show along the side?

Sunday 22nd February 2009, 1:40 pm

Ah, it’s very good, if a little weird.

They don’t show mine because I’m special :P I’ll change it to show them again if ya think thats better?

Sunday 22nd February 2009, 2:01 pm

Well it’s only cos I didn’t see a reply comment on an earlier post and also it makes me look like I’m an obsessive three-times-in-a-row commenter, which while I wouldn’t mind if that really is the case, if it’s not I prefer to be seen to retain an iota of decorum…

Sunday 22nd February 2009, 7:23 pm

Changed it then, to stop you looking obsessive :-p

Monday 23rd February 2009, 9:50 am

Spotify is absolutely awesome, I will readily agree with you there.

Have to say I’m actually fairly jealous of the work thing you’ve got. I mean, having a clue hat you’re going to end up doing must be great! I just absolutely have no idea where I’ll be in 2/3 years!

Monday 23rd February 2009, 4:59 pm

Ah, Spotify – a genius creation, sadly hampered by record labels and artists not wanting to play fair.
Still, I’ve been using it to inifinity and back – highly recommend it!